As a high school student, I intended to be a secondary history and/or english teacher. At some point, the introvert in me won out and I decided to change career paths. Combing through a manual for the university I had already enrolled in, I discovered Speech-Language Pathology. I knew I wanted to teach and this seemed the perfect avenue.
Over ten years later, I’m an ASHA certified SLP in my sixth year at a public school. In my six years, I’ve worked with students aged 3 – 18. I started my TpT store in 2013 as Happy Speech Therapy and grew it over the next several years. I’m happily married to my best friend and fellow adventurer, Jason, who, with his graphic design prowess, helps ensure my products are professional and pretty.
We’re in the process of adopting our first child and hope to one day embrace the world of homeschool. Jason helps design curriculums for outreach programs and we’ve both been heavily involved in children’s ministry at church. Education is truly one of our passions and we hope to share that with you here. With the anticipated shifts in our life, as well as expanding interests and opportunities, we began rebranding in 2018, eventually creating A Happy Learner. I’m so excited about what it has the opportunity to become.
2. I really did get to marry my best friend. We’re on the opposite ends of many spectrums, but we balance one another out. I never want to be without him.
3. As mentioned above, I’m an introvert. On the Meyer Briggs scale, I typically range somewhere between 75 – 95% introverted. I can usually gage it by season: Summer = 75% School Year = 95%
4. I’m an avid reader. There aren’t too many things better than snuggling up with a good book.
5. I’m also a history nerd. There’s not a whole lot to say about that, except that I also read a lot of historical fiction and non-fiction and almost exclusively watch period pieces and costume dramas.
6. I have serious wanderlust. I first traveled to England in 2008 and have been on the go or dreaming up my next trip ever since. Jason is wonderful at playing the credit card game and working the budget to indulge the hobby.
7. I’m big sister to three amazing young people who light up my life. I like to joke that I don’t have to have my own kids because I’ve already raised them.
8. I’m seriously addicted to hot tea. English Breakfast, Earl Gray, Green, Peppermint, Lemon Ginger… any tea, any time.
9. I’m a devotee of simple living and minimalism. I love blank space, routines, and small pleasures.
10. I’ve taken on gardening. I’m still an amateur, but I get so much joy watching one of my roses bloom or growing a flower from seed.